Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Montreal & Some Tests


Over the past year, I made a project through OCAD digging up my grandfather's old 8mm films from the 40's through the 80's. Some of those reels included footage from Expo '67 in Montreal. Spending quite a bit of time there myself with my sweet sister and girlfriend, I decided to go on a mission over the course of a weekend the last time I was there. I searched out what I could find at the Port of Montreal and the Islands that appeared in those reels and shot timelapse of the locations. The end result seems a bit stark in comparison to the balmy beautiful 1960's summer paradise. Probably due to the just recently breaking winter and the seemingly endless bitter-cold rain, leaving me without much choice but to make an evil depiction of modern Montreal. To be clear though, I absolutely love the city of Montreal and all that it has to offer. This video is not representative of my personal views, just a product of that material I had to work with.

Montreal: Then & Now from Alex Kingsmill on Vimeo.


I've also been gearing up the past few weeks to shoot a number of projects and short films. These are some miscellaneous shots I've also acquired in those weeks. Included are a timelapse of what is publicly accessible by car on the Gilles-Villeneuve Circuit in Montreal. Possibly one of the coolest random finds on my adventures to the Islands. Also, I tested a number of techniques to create a steadycam and have a polished test here.

Test Footy. from Alex Kingsmill on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment